15 February 2008

What a Faithful God Have I....

Do you know those days where you are just kinda discouraged? Today was one of them, at least initially. And it was one of the few days that I've been somewhat homesick. But, bottom line, I realized I wasn't being very content. Part of it is I am ready to get moved and resettled and we aren't sure when that is going to happen (long story involving a bank reference we were told on Monday may take 10 days). I have been looking often at the passage in Matthew 6 about worry. Specifically verse 34, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." What a great comfort to me and a reminder to keep my thoughts on today.

So this afternoon I was checking up on the bank reference status only to be found out it was never even processed! That nearly put me over the top! But I already was planning to be near the bank so I was able to go in and talk to someone about it. Our bank is one thing that really does rock here! The customer service rep went to her manager with our problem and the manager wrote our reference on the spot and even waived the £10 fee! That was delightful!

Then it was on to my Gastroenteroligist (or however you spell it) appointment. Yeah, that's the one I have been waiting for since November. I got a postcard yesterday telling me to show up today at 4pm. Good thing my "diary"(calendar) was clear! Another thing that I can now say rocks here is my doctor! :) He was fantastic! It was worth the wait. He spent a whole hour just talking to me. He even stayed until 5:15pm on a Friday! (And some of his poor staff too!) He was very personable, empathetic, used great analogies that made things easy to understand, etc. He is essentially what would be nice to have in every doctor no matter what country you live in. He'd even been to Raleigh :) He seemed to even know what my throat tightening up response was (though I can't remember the technical term). While it's an uncomfortable feeling, he doesn't think it's life threatening (since from what he was saying it doesn't actually sound allergy related). There's not a whole lot we can do about it, other than trying to get that muscle to relax and "uncondition" itself from tightening at odd times. We'll see how that all does. We also discussed several other options for improving my health and eating. He is going to get me in to see a dietician which is something I've been wanting.

When I got in my car to go home I had tears in my eyes. God is so good and faithful. He didn't have to bless me with two encouraging events within an hour of each other, but He did. I am so grateful. I was thinking about the song that I have mentioned here before called "What a Faithful God Have I." And there was another beautiful sunset too which made everything even better! May you be encouraged by the words of the song too.

Lord, I come before Your throne of grace;
I find rest in Your presence, and fullness of joy.
In worship and wonder I behold Your face,
singing what a faithful God have I.
What a faithful God have I,
what a faithful God.
What a faithful God have I,
faithful in every way.

Lord of mercy, You have heard my cry;
through the storm You're the beacon,
my song in the night.
In the shelter of Your wings,
hear my heart's reply,
singing what a faithful God have I.
What a faithful God have I
what a faithful God.
What a faithful God have I
faithful in every way.

Lord all sovereign, granting peace from heaven,
let me comfort those who suffer
with the comfort You have given.
I will tell of Your great love for as long as I live,
singing what a faithful God have I.
What a faithful God have I
what a faithful God.
What a faithful God have I,
faithful in every way.

(Roberty & Dawn Critchley, Kingsway's Thankyou Music)

3 comments:

Dennis, Allison, Anjela and B.J. said...

Praise God you've found a good doctor Rachel!!! That's awesome. Will be praying about the move and the bank stuff too! Allison

The Green Family said...

We are praising God with you, Rachel! These are huge blessings. God is good.

Noella said...

God's timing and encouragements are always perfect. Thanks for sharing the highs and lows of your day. I really hope there are some definitive solutions to your health issues. Hang in there!